Non Fully Booting XP Computer | Registry Error

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Non Fully Booting XP Computer | Registry Error

Post  Admin on Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:03 pm

Here's a tight situation...

My XP computer would not boot all the way into Windows.

I taped [F8] profusely upon powering up. I was able to choose “disable system restart on error”, which allowed the blue screen message to hang:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

REGISTRY_ERROR

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then elect Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** Stop: 0x00000051 (0x00000001, 0Xe1f15b60, 0x02190000. 0x000001d6)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I did some goggling and by all indications… corrupted registry hive. So I know the error, but what now?

The computer is about ten years old. So, I wasn't about to plug a $200 repair bill into it. There were no backups to speak of. However, I did have a 3 year old backup image, but using that would mean reinstalling and reconfiguring everything done within the past 3 years. So, that was considered "last resort".

First, I used "Puppy Linux Live CD (Self Bootable OS CD)" to view the contents and extract or backup any important email files and documents that I wanted.

- Outlook Personal Folders (PST Files)
- Firefox Password and Bookmark Files (Profile Files)

I'll try to have separate postings on the above
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mmgaming.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top